Glasgow Caledonian New York College Self Study
Welcome to the GCNYC Self-Study Report page. GCNYC is preparing a “self-study” as part of its application for accreditation to the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). GCNYC achieved candidacy status with MSCHE on June 21, 2018. Candidacy status indicates that GCNYC has achieved membership and is progressing toward, but is not assured of, accreditation.
This page is intended to report to stakeholders on our progress toward application for MSCHE review for accreditation. Recent milestones include the following:
- May 2: GCNYC received notice that MSCHE approved its Self-Study Design. Members of the GCNYC community are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Self-Study design as GCNYC seeks broad participation in its Self-Study Project.
- June 24: GCNYC President and CEO Pamela Gillies announced appointment of Dr. Walter B. Roettger as Interim Provost.
- August 1: Interim Provost Roettger is appointed as Accreditation Liaison Officer (ALO) to MSCHE.
- August 28: Roettger is appointed Chair of the Self-Study Steering Committee and will work with continuing Co-Chair Jessica Chang-Russell on this project. Roettger will also serve as the Chair of the Working Group on Standards I and II. Dr. Kerri Quinn, Student Learning Coordinator, was appointed Chair of the Working Group on Standards III, IV, and V. Chang-Russell will continue as Chair of the Working Group on Standards VI and VII. The Self-Study Steering Committee will begin its work for the new academic year on Monday, September 9.
- Aug 30: GCNYC updates MSCHE on steps that have been taken in past quarter to move ahead with the application process.
- Sep 1: GCNYC begins search for Director of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness to lead in the development of the Self-Study and accreditation application.
- Sep 10, 11, 18: GCNYC Self-Study Steering leadership group begins regular meetings to prepare for fall meeting of Self-Study Steering Committee, resumption of Working Group activities, and development of evidence inventory.
- Sept 25-6: ALO Roettger participates in President’s and Provost’s Breakfast, Townhall and Workshop (“From Assessment to Planning (and back)) at MSCHE Townhall in Albany.
- Sep 28: GCNYC begins preparation for search for full-time Assistant or Associate Professor with doctoral preparation in sustainability, social entrepreneurship, and corporate social responsibility to lead continuing development of core curriculum.
- Sep 30: Provost search materials posted on GCNYC website as search for permanent Chief Academic Officer moves forward. Also posted in Chronicle of Higher Education, Women in Higher Education, Diverse Issues, Higher Ed Jobs, and IM Website.
- Oct 8: GCNYC receives approval to participate in the Federal Student Financial Aid Programs (Title IV) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended.
- Oct 24: Self-Study Steering Committee begins work on the evidence inventory in support of the Self-Study.
- Oct 29: GCNYC launches a Strategic Planning process for 2020 – 2025.
- Nov 14: Discussion draft of Strategic Plan developed, circulated, discussed, and accepted for further development.
- Nov 19: President’s Executive Group notes Discussion Draft of Strategic plan; further development scheduled for January 2020.
- Dec 9-11: ALO Roettger attends MSCHE Conference in Philadelphia.
- Feb 10: Rebekah Chow assumes responsibilities as Director of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Feb 26: Self Study Committee meets on campus
If you have questions or require additional information about the process and requirements of the Self-Study or about how you may become involved, please contact co-Chairs Rebekah Chow (Rebekah.Chow@gcu.ac.uk) or Jessica Chang-Russell (email@example.com).